Travel insurance for Expeditions?
Insurance. Insurance that provides cover for emergency repatriation in case of a medical emergency is compulsory for all expeditions. You should be aware that many standard insurance policies may not cover you adequately for all aspects of a remote expedition and so we strongly recommend that you purchase a suitably designed insurance policy.
Check-list. Please ensure that you check your insurance policy details and ensure they cover you for:
- Emergency medical repatriation (to home country) including any associated expenses abroad of at least $500,000.
- Activities – ensure that any activities carried out on the expedition are included, these could be trekking, horse riding, rafting, mountain biking etc.
- Geographical region - check the geographical region you are going to is insured (often the US and Canada or areas such as Afghanistan are not insured).
- Foreign Ministry advice –check your insurance is not sensitive to any travel warnings issued by your respective foreign ministry. In the UK, many insurers will not insure you when the Foreign Office warns against travel to this area. Foreign Office advice will not necessarily mean we cancel an expedition or do not travel to a particular area.
- Dates – make sure the period of cover begins at the departure and ends at the return to your home country. Many flights take a day or two and time zones vary. Insurance companies may prejudice your claims due to this.
- Pre-existing medical conditions – if you have any pre-existing medical conditions please ensure you disclose this to your insurance company.
- UK Citizens. Secret Compass have arranged tailored travel insurance for UK citizens with Travel & General Insurance Services Limited, which is available to UK residents by clicking here, or through the link on our website in “Partners” or via the insurance company direct on 0845 345 3456. Under this policy there are two different levels of cover available, depending on whether you are travelling to a geographical area that the FCO advise against travel.
- Other Nationalities. If you are not an EU Citizen, you can arrange a policy suitable for our expeditions through Travel Guard by clicking here or going through the “Partners” section on our website.
- Safeguarding your money. Your booking is insured by IPP Ltd and its Panel of Insurers. This insurance is only valid for passengers who book and pay directly with/to Secret Compass. For further information see www.ipplondon.co.uk.