At a locally-run eco-river lodge nestled among waterfalls in the heart of Elgon’s surrounding foothills, the adventure starts with a good night’s rest ahead of the first day’s steep ascent. The first day will draw to a close upon sight of the first mountain hut on the volcano slope, where you’ll embrace your first night camping out in the wilds of Africa.
The following day you’ll push for the summit, where you’ll be rewarded with the spectacle of the natural lakes and vegetation occupying the ancient crater, and breath-taking views over Uganda and over the border into neighbouring Kenya. There is plenty of exploration opportunity, including an extended trek to nearby Jackson peak, before descent via the Sipi trail, bedding down in mountain huts overnight.
After exploring the mountain, you’ll return to the warm and welcome hospitality of the lodge, where you’ll toast the end of a great adventure as the sun sets.
- Embark on a multi-day trek through Ugandan wilderness.
- Explore one of the world’s largest volcanic craters.
- Trek to the top of Wagagai peak at 4,321m.
- Earn breathtaking views over Uganda and Kenya.
- Stay in mountain huts and a comfortable lodge.
- Relax in mountain hotsprings.
- Look out for wild elephants in the Kitum Caves.
- Opportunity to abseil Sipi Falls.